The Pokeberry Quilt

The Pokeberry Quilt

Sunday, May 07, 2017

The Golden-mantled Ground Squirrels...

 
Lots of predators this time of year so...

 
these little guys are on alert.

 
Yes, I saw them, too...a Coyote and a Fox
within minutes of each other.
I was as shocked as you.

 
Two sets of eyes and ears...

 
When she holds this posture you can see how
how beautiful her markings are...
The "picket pin posture"....
allows them to see long distances and the posture
helps them to use their hearing ability better.

 
 Early settlers call them "picket pins" for this type of posture
 because from a distance they look like
 stakes that had been driven into the ground.
 

 
A Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel on the left and
a tiny Chipmunk up on a rock on the right.





 


5 comments:

  1. The markings are beautiful and your information very interesting. They are such cute creatures. Hoping they stay safe with all those predators nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I had never heard of the "picket pin" stance and the history of the name. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy!
    Makes me smile.
    These little guys are soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. They mantle is lovely. Best wishes to them all and you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! Their little paw touching is cuteness beyond words.
    Thanks for the "picket pins" history.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.
I'm not receiving email notifications of comments so I will be responding on my blog.